In 1790, John Crawford and Phillip Mathews, Burke Circuit preacher, organized a Methodist Society in the home of Joshua Hodges, Sr. In 1791, Union Meeting House became the frequent entry in...
Organized circa 1829, the church was originally located at the home of Absolom Parrish and called Parrish meeting house. Following a fire of the log structure on the Parrish farm, the...
The Fabulous Fifty of 1906 On Saturday, December 1, 1906, Gov. Joseph M Terrell, Georgia’s “education governor”, came to Savannah to moderate the bidding contest for the historic First District’s...
Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church was Constituted on August 15, 1802 in the home of John Albritton. The organizing presbytery consisted of Henry Cook, Isham Peacock, John Goldwire and...
Rigdon’s Mill On Mill Creek just north of this marker stood one of the oldest and long lasting water mills and Bulloch County. It was built about 1840 by Daniel Rigdon and his Irish...
Organized from Union by Rev. Lewis Mayers, New Hope was Bulloch’s second Methodist Church. 1804 trustees were David Kennedy, Josiah Everette, Jarvis Jackson, Burrell Whittington and William...
Excelsior was the cultural center of Bulloch County in the late 1800s before it became part of Candler County. It was founded in 1875 on land donated by Jimerson Kennedy, Remer Franklin, W....
Eastside Cemetery was established on this site in 1889 in response to citizens’ request for a central location for the burial of the dead. Early cemeteries, known is burying grounds, dotted fields...
The Banks Dairy Farm was operated on this site and included 900 acres of cultivated land combined with dairying operations. David Callaway Banks, born April 8, 1882, in Bulloch County,...
Georgia Southern University was founded as First District A&M in 1906. Bulloch County won a bidding war with Tattnall and Emanuel counties offering cash, 300 acres of land, and utilities...
In 1890 citizens organized in built the city’s first school, the Statesboro Academy, at the corner of North Main and Church Streets. For ten years it served the needs of the community. In 1901 a...
Brooklet, known for its Avenue of Oak trees, took shape at the end of the 19th century on property owned by A. J. Lee. Optimistic citizens built a new town beside the recently completed Savannah...
The original Portal was located 2 miles north of the current site on Old Portal Road. It got its name in 1894, when the U.S. Postal Service approved a post office for Portal. The E. E....
CONSTITUTED SEPTEMBER 3, 1882 Rev. W. M. Cowart, First Pastor Charter Members Deacon Edmond Kennedy, Deacon A.B. Miller, W.B. Corey, Joseph Tillman, James Price, J.J.M. Griner, Moselle Miller,...
In 1874, nine years after the Civil War ended, a group of former slaves of the Riggs, Donaldson, Parrish, and Hall families founded the Willow Hill School to serve the area’s black children....
The U.S. Supreme Court’s 1941 decision United States vs Darby Lumber Co. in a landmark ruling in American legal history. The case affirmed the federal government’s ability to regulate employment...
Samuel Winkler Harville purchased this 754-acre farm in 1862. Born on December 17, 1826. Harville was one of two delegates Bulloch County sent to the 1861 Secession Convention in Milledgeville....
This is the site of the Nevils railroad station. The paved road from Denmark to Nevils is the original bed of the Shearwood Railroad that existed from 1912 to 1937. John N. Shearhouse of Brooklet...
This path follows the roadbed of the Savannah & Statesboro Railway (S&S RY), completed in 1899. It was created through the interests of timbermen and turpentiners and through the dreams of...
Dr. Charles Holmes Herty of University of Georgia Chemistry Department conducted experiments in this forest that revolutionized the naval stores industry in America. Inspired by conservative...