Read The Plaque https://readtheplaque.com Always read the plaque en-us Davis Police Headquarters https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/davis-police-headquarters https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/davis-police-headquarters 2018-09-23 19:50:24.984486 Davis Police Headquarters Davis Police Headquarters

]]>
Olvera St. https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/olvera-st6 https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/olvera-st6 2018-09-23 19:50:08.164710 Olvera St. Olvera St.

From the Flickr group Historical Markers, photo by tkksummers, full page.

License is Attribution-ShareAlike License

]]>
The Centenial Tree https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/the-centenial-tree https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/the-centenial-tree 2018-09-23 18:04:10.119690 The Centenial Tree The Centenial Tree

]]> Dorothy A. Walker https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/dorothy-a-walker https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/dorothy-a-walker 2018-09-23 18:03:46.542932 Dorothy A. Walker Dorothy A. Walker

]]>
Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict Arnold https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/lieutenant-colonel-benedict-arnold https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/lieutenant-colonel-benedict-arnold 2018-09-23 17:55:51.556819 Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict Arnold Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict Arnold

NEAR THIS SPOT LIEUTENANT-COLONEL BENEDICT ARNOLD WAS WOUNDED ON DECEMBER 31, 1775, AFTER HAVING TAKEN THE FIRST BARRICADE WHICH PROTECTED THE ENTRANCE TO SAULT AU MATELOT STREET AND TO THE LOWER TOWN OF QUEBEC.

]]>
La Butte https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/la-butte https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/la-butte 2018-09-23 17:55:45.731815 La Butte La Butte

 This Indian mound was constructed around AD 1000. It is 7 feet tall with a square~shaped base. It was once part of a larger complex made up of up to five mounds. The oak tree on the northwest corner is thought to mark the grave of Houma Courteau alias Touh-la-bayne of the Biloxi Nation who owned this property between 1822-1844. The historic Picou Cemetery on top dates from 1901-1990s.

]]>
Mississippi Rural Center https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/mississippi-rural-center https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/mississippi-rural-center 2018-09-23 17:55:42.693220 Mississippi Rural Center Mississippi Rural Center

The Mississippi Rural Center was dedicated on February 9, 1949, and established with a $100,000 gift from the Women's Society of Christian Services of the Methodist Church. Created to provide opportunities for African American families, the center offered religious, social, medical, and educational programs to the Community of Lampton and surrounding areas. It was first directed by Rev. Isaac C. and Athelda Pittman, both graduates of Alcorn A & M College.

]]>
Conerly's P.O. and Lampton's Store https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/conerly-s-p-o-and-lampton-s-store https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/conerly-s-p-o-and-lampton-s-store 2018-09-23 17:55:39.401027 Conerly's P.O. and Lampton's Store Conerly's P.O. and Lampton's Store

In June 1848, Benjamin Lampton and his brother-in-law Cullen Conerly established a post office here in Lampton's mercantile business. Situated on Dry Creek between Conerly's Mill and Tyler's Mill, the store and post office served as the social center of the community for more than a half century. Conerly's became Tylertown in 1879.

]]>
Hanging of Will Purvis https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/hanging-of-will-purvis https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/hanging-of-will-purvis 2018-09-23 17:55:33.068297 Hanging of Will Purvis Hanging of Will Purvis

On February 7, 1894, crowds gathered near this site to witness the hanging of Will Purvis, who had been convicted of the murder of local farmer Will Buckley. When the trap door was released Purvis fell straight through to the ground, the noose having slipped and spared his life. Purvis was given a full pardon in 1898, and his innocence was proven by the deathbed Confession of an eyewitness in 1917. In 1920 Will Purvis was awarded $5,000 in restitution by the Mississippi Legislature for his wrongful conviction.

]]>
Cambridge https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/cambridge2 https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/cambridge2 2018-09-23 17:55:24.089538 Cambridge Cambridge

Cambridge
Originally part of the Choptank Indian Reservation laid out for them in 1669, Cambridge was made a port of entry by the assembly in 1684. It is one of the few towns authorized at that early date that has survived.
State Roads Commission

 

This plaque is located at the Dorchester County Visitor’s Center

http://harriettubmanbyway.org/dorchester-county-visitor-center/

 

For more info about the Choptank people: https://wapo.st/2QQhu1i

 

More info on Harriett Tubman and Dorchester County: 

http://bit.ly/2OIFZMs

]]>