A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Haight-Fillmore Building

    Van Dorn House

    (Located one-half mile to the east)Originally named

    (Located one-half mile to the east)Originally named "The Hill," this house was built by Peter Aaron Van Dorn, ca. 1828. Located on one of Port Gibson's highest hills, the brick and cypress house was ...

    • mississippi

    Samuel Gibson House

    This brick structure is thought to have been built ca. 1805 as a residence for Samuel Gibson, the founder of Port Gibson. It was moved from its original site to this location in 1980. Typical of the ...

    This brick structure is thought to have been built ca. 1805 as a residence for Samuel Gibson, the founder of Port Gibson. It was moved from its original site to this location in 1980. Typical of the ...

    • mississippi
    • settlements

    Lightfoot Park

    • Claiborne County native educated in local schools and Alcorn A & M College• First black citizen elected to the Claiborne County Board of Education - 1969 to 1974 Horace L. Lightfoot ...

    • Claiborne County native educated in local schools and Alcorn A & M College• First black citizen elected to the Claiborne County Board of Education - 1969 to 1974 Horace L. ...

    • mississippi
    • city park

    Wintergreen Cemetery

    Greenwood Street. 1807. This is one of the oldest cemeteries in Mississippi. Originally the burying ground of Samuel Gibson, founder of Port Gibson, and his family. Confederate General Earl Van Dorn ...

    Greenwood Street. 1807. This is one of the oldest cemeteries in Mississippi. Originally the burying ground of Samuel Gibson, founder of Port Gibson, and his family. Confederate General Earl Van ...

    • mississippi
    • cemetery

    Centenary State Historic Site - "The Cemetery"

    Centenary College minutes dated October 7, 1861 read,

    Centenary College minutes dated October 7, 1861 read, "Students have all gone to war. College suspended and God help the right." From 1861 to 1866 the college remained closed. Both Union ...

    • louisiana
    • civil war
    • cemetery

    First European Settlers

    The domination of Europeans over this sectionof Louisiana is divided into five epochs:French----1717 to 1763British----1763 to 1779Spanish----1779 to 1810Independent*----Sept.10 to Dec. 7United ...

    The domination of Europeans over this sectionof Louisiana is divided into five epochs:French---- 1717 to 1763British----1763 to 1779Spanish----1779 to 1810Independent*----Sept.10 to Dec. ...

    • louisiana
    • settlers

    Original Feliciana Courthouse

    Original Feliciana CourthouseBuilt 1816And used for that purpose until the division of the Parish into East and West Feliciana in 1824.This building has been owned by the Jackson Assembly since 1969.

    Original Feliciana CourthouseBuilt 1816And used for that purpose until the division of the Parish into East and West Feliciana in 1824.This building has been owned by the Jackson Assembly since 1969.

    • louisiana
    • courthouse

    Chenal Cemetery

    This monument stands near the site of the altar portion of the original Immaculate Conception church structure. The original structure was built in 1859 and was enlarged three times to its final ...

    This monument stands near the site of the altar portion of the original Immaculate Conception church structure. The original structure was built in 1859 and was enlarged three times to its ...

    • louisiana
    • church
    • cemetery

    Scott's Bluff

    This bluff is believed to have been named for Dr. William Bernard Scott, who bought the property from Lelia Skipwith in 1839. She was the daughter of Fulwar Skipwith, governor of the 1810 West ...

    This bluff is believed to have been named for Dr. William Bernard Scott, who bought the property from Lelia Skipwith in 1839. She was the daughter of Fulwar Skipwith, governor of the 1810 ...

    • louisiana

    Southern University

    This institution was established in 1880 under an 1879 constitutional mandate to educate

    This institution was established in 1880 under an 1879 constitutional mandate to educate "persons of color". It was originally located in New Orleans, being one of the first colleges for blacks ...

    • louisiana
    • african america...
    • education

    The John C. Brown Memorial Bridge

    THEJOHN C. BROWN(CORP'L U.S. ARMY)MEMORIAL BRIDGEDEDICATEDAUGUST 26, 1950TO THE MEMORY OFTHE FIRST MARYLAND SOLDIERKILLED IN ACTION IN KOREAJUNE 30, 1950Submitted by Patrick M. Ryan

    THEJOHN C. BROWN(CORP'L U.S. ARMY)MEMORIAL BRIDGEDEDICATEDAUGUST 26, 1950TO THE MEMORY OFTHE FIRST MARYLAND SOLDIERKILLED IN ACTION IN KOREAJUNE 30, 1950Submitted by Patrick M. Ryan

    • korea
    • bridge
    • soldier
    • imageryan
    • maryland

    Ship Harbor: The Human Dynamic

      Ship Harbor: The Living System

        Ship Harbor: The Natural Dynamic

          A Dream Realized

            In Loving Memory Of Fielding and Pat Formway

              A Piece of Cascadian History

                Stillorgan Intake and Tunnel Main Contract

                  Dolly's House

                    Alaska Native Veterans Southeast

                      Eglise Saint-Medard

                        Fish Ladder Plaza

                          M/V Samish

                            In Memory of All Veterans