A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

The Sentinel

    Los Rios Street Historic District

      Winsor McCay/Winsor McCay

      Winsor McCay (c.1867-1934), A pioneer in cartoon animations, first received acclaim for his artwork as a pupil in Spring Lake´s Union School. His blackboard sketch of the 1880 wreck of the SS Alpena ...

      • michigan
      • michigan histor...

      Hubbard’s Annex to the National Park/

      Gurdon Hubbard (1802-1886) came to Mackinac Island from New England in 1818 to work in the fur trade. His expanding businesses centered on Chicago, where in 1834 he was elected as a town trustee. ...

      • michigan
      • michigan histor...

      We Will Never Forget

      WE WILL NEVER FORGET THE STEEL I BEAM CONTAINED IN THIS WORLD TRADE CENTER MEMORIAL IS A SECTION CUT FROM ITEM G-0143. IT WAS TRANSFERRED BY THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF ...

        Charles C. Hurd

        In Memory of Charles C. HurdMukilteo Resident 1903-1965 He worked in Mukilteo as a millworker, boat builder, police/fireman

          Best Canoe Navigators

            Richard B. Tyree Vineyard

            THIS VINEYARD IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF RICHARD B. TYREE, A LOYAL AND DEVOTED STAFF MEMBER OF THE DEPARTMENT OF VITICULTURE AND ENOLOGY FROM 1940 TO 1980. HE AND HIS COWORKERS ...

            • wine
            • davis
            • vineyard

            Inspiration Point

            --THIS TABLET IS THE PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF COLORADO-- ONE MILE NORTH OF THIS POINT GOLD WAS DISCOVERED On June 22, 1850, by a party of California-bound Cherokees, the discovery was made by Louis ...

            • colorado
            • denver
            • gold rush

            Somerville Junction

            Somerville Junction Near this park was the original site of the Somerville Junction Passenger and Switching Stations built by Boston & Lowell Railroad circa 1880.

            • somerville
            • train
            • railroad
            • station
            • park

            Auraria, CO

            --THIS TABLET IS THE PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF COLORADO-- AURARIA On November 1, 1858, the center of this stream was designated the east boundary of Auraria, first duly located and platted town at the ...

            • denver
            • colorado
            • gold rush
            • auraria

            Friedlander Outdoor Forum

            Friedlander Outdoor Forum This unique outdoor learning space was dedicated in 2016 in honor of beloved Greenhills science teachers Tom and Martha Friedlander, whose more than 75 combined years ...

              Salem Church

              SALEM CHURCH The Revered Edward Weiss, a Washtenaw County circuit rider, organized an Evangelical class of fifteen members in 1874.  They met in a school located two miles east of here.  Two ...

                VERMONT CEMETERY

                VERMONT CEMETERY   In memory of the pioneers of this region who came here from Vermont in 1832. These early settlers were:   Wm. Arnold Davis Warren A. Davis Orlo H. Fenn Daniel Fenn Truman Lawrence ...

                  Frances Elizabeth Willard

                  THIS PARK HONORS THE MEMORY OF FRANCES ELIZABETH WILLARD 1839 - 1898 FEMINIST FOUNDER OF THE WOMEN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION FIGHTER FOR WOMEN'S RIGHTS AND FREE PUBLIC EDUCATION FIRST WOMAN ...

                  • willard
                  • berkeley
                  • feminist
                  • woman college p...

                  Thelma Stovall

                  THELMA L. STOVALL 1919 - 1994 Entered political service in 1949 when she was elected to the Kentucky state legislature. For the next 34 years, Stovall served Kentucky in a variety of elected ...

                  • kentucky
                  • stovall
                  • lt. governor
                  • property tax re...
                  • women's rights

                  David M. Moncrief, Jr. Pool - Waimano Home, Pearl City, Hawaii

                  A swimming pool built by the Rotary Club of Pearl Harbor for residents of Waimano Home, a Territory of Hawaii institution for people with developmental disabilities. The pool was intended to provide ...

                    King's Bridge

                    Plaque reads: 'HISTORIC ENGINEERING MARKER. KINGS BRIDGE COMPLETED IN 1864 THIS BEAUTIFUL. WROUGHT IRON  ARCH BRIDGE WITH A SPAN OF 60 METRES, WAS DESIGNED BYENGINEER WILLIAM THOMAS DOYNE. IT ...

                    • tasmania
                    • launceston
                    • engineering bri...

                    Behold the Sea

                    The citizens of the sister cities of Mendocino and Miasa, Japan, dedicate this plaque to the peaceful pursuits of the peoples of the Pacific Basin and to the protection of its environment that ...

                      Sydney Parade Station

                      Sydney Parade Station Sydney Parade Station opened in 1835, soon after the inauguration of the Dublin and Kingstown Railway, becoming a busy intermediate station on the world's first commuter railway ...

                      • joyce
                      • ireland
                      • sydney parade
                      • dublin

                      Carrier Home

                        Land Patent 1825 Home Circa 1850   Isaac Carrier purchased this Michigan Territory land from the U.S. Government in 1825.  (Michigan Statehood 1837).   Submitted by Bryan Arnold @nanowhiskers

                        Robert Burns Plaque Stanley Park

                        This statue of Robert Burns, Scotland's national bard, was unveiled by J. Ramsay MacDonald, a prime minister of Britain, on 25th August, 1928. Robert Burns's sincere desire for friendship ...

                        • vancouver "stan...

                        George Henry Reifel

                        This memorial has been placed by the British Columbia Waterfowl Society in memory of  GEORGE HENRY REIFEL July 22, 1922 - March 7, 1992 An avid sportsman and conservationist, George H. Reifel leased ...

                        • waterfowl conse...

                        Point Atkinson Lighthouse

                        POINT ATKINSON LIGHTHOUSE Site named by Capt. Vancouver June 14, 1792.  Wall of original tower, built in 1874, still stands near present tower, completed in 1912. Tower 60 ft high - light 108 ...

                        • lighthouse
                        • vancouver

                        Wolfskill Grant