This property served as the first African-American school in Allen Parish until 1945.
The land was deeded to the church in 1911 by Julian and his wife Modeste Captain.
*School established in 1880 with Lawrence Shaw as first teacher.
The original bell still tolls in the bell tower and the original blackboard still hangs on the wall.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior.