John Bond Swasey inherited a 95 acre farm in 1800. These 95 acres make up what is now the Meredith Village Core. During 1816 Swasey undertook a project that marked the beginning of present day Mill Falls. Starting from frontage on Lake Wauken (behind Main Street), Swasey built a 600’ rock lined canal channeling water under the Maine Street horse path to a point where the land dropped sharply to Lake Winnipesaukee. He then constructed the existing rock lined sluiceway. Water power was now concentrated into one fall of 40 feet. The canal and waterfall were completed in 1818. Upon completion Swasey built a number of profitable mills (The Mill Falls Market-Place Mill Building is the last remaining). Swasey’s man/made waterfall was considered a monumental achievement in its day and was one of the best mill drivers in the state. Today it is the scenic core around which the inns and spas at Mills Falls and the village of Meredith revolve.