LAST MOUNTAIN LAKE BIRD SANCTUARY 1997-1987
On June 8,1887 the government of Canada "...reserved from sale and settlement, and set apart as breeding grounds for wildfowl..." the islands and parts of the adjoining shore of the northern end of Last Mountain Lake.
This site, containing 1015 hectares, was the first area reserved for wildlife by the government of Canada, and has the distinction of being the first federal bird sanctuary in North America.
This plaque was dedicated in recognition of 100 years of wildlife conservation in Canada.
June 5, 1987
Submitted by: @Saskajanet