From the top floor of this building
was sent on June 3, 1880
over a beam of light to 1325 L Street,
the first wireless telephone message
in the history of the world.
The apparatus used in sending the message
was the photophone invented by
Alexander Graham Bell,
inventor of the telephone.
This plaque was placed here by
Alexander Graham Bell Chapter
Telephone Pioneers of America
March 3, 1947,
the centennial of Dr. Bell’s birth.
This plaque is on the historic Franklin School, a National Historic Landmark.
It is across from historic Franklin Square.
It is also along DC Cultural Tourism's Civil War to Civil Rights: Downtown Heritage Trail.