A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Clark Kerr Campus

CLARK KERR CAMPUS

THIS SITE HAS SERVED THE EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES

OF THE PEOPLE OF CALIFORNIA SINCE 1860 WHEN

IT BECAME THE HOME OF THE FIRST PUBLIC

INSTITUTIONS IN BERKELEY, THE CALIFORNIA

SCHOOLS FOR THE DEAF AND BLIND THE SCHOOLS

MOVED TO FREMONT IN 1980 AND THE PROPERTY

WAS TRANSFERRED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF

CALIFORNIA IN 1982 TO PROVIDE HOUSING FOR

BERKELEY CAMPUS STUDENTS AND FACULTY AS WELL

AS RECREATION AND CONFERENCE FACILITIES.

THE PROPERTY IS NAMED TO HONOR CLARK KERR

FIRST CHANCELLOR OF THE BERKELEY CAMPUS

1952 - 1958 AND TWELFTH PRESIDENT OF THE

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA 1958 - 1967.

THE ENTIRE SITE, INCLUDING THE BUILDINGS

GROUNDS, AND ENCIRCLING WALL, HAS BEEN

PLACED ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF

HISTORIC PLACES

 

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps