Mulberry Grove which is located approximately 2 miles northeast from this marker is one of the most historic of the old Savannah River plantations. In early Colonial days mulberry trees were...
Residence and Tanyard of the Rev. Arthur I. Leet, (native of Monaghan, Ireland), 1812-1892. A noted landmark of the Chickamauga Campaign; was Gen. Braxton Bragg´s H´dq´rs. [Confed.], Sept. 17,...
The road E. ascends Taylor´s Ridge & via Nickajack Gap, crosses E. Chickamauga Cr. Valley. May 7, 1864. Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick´s (3d) Div., Elliott´s Cav. Corps (Army of the...
After the battle of Missionary Ridge, Bragg´s Confederate Army retreated through the gap in disorder towards Dalton, GA. Brig. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne was ordered to take position in the...
Nine miles west of here on Saturday and Sunday, September 19th and 20th, 1863, the bloody battle of Chickamauga was fought. Here, Federal forces of about 60,000 under Major-General William...
Here in 1862-1863 were located several Confederate hospitals ~ The Foard, The General, The Bragg, and The Buckner. The Courthouse, Napier´s Hotel, two Churches, several warehouses, and...
In 1862-1863 several Confederate hospitals were located here. The sick and wounded Confederate soldiers drank of the health-giving waters of the several mineral springs in this area. Drinking this...
One half mile east is the site of Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital, located here in 1862- 1863. Hundreds of sick and wounded Confederate soldiers were sent to the hospital to rest and...
Thomas Thompson Napier built this house in 1836 of heavy local timber prepared by slaves and finishing lumber brought by ox-wagon from Augusta. During the Battle of Chickamauga 20 wounded soldiers...
This house of handmade brick was built about 1863 by Mr. William L. Whitman, a prominent merchant of Ringgold. After the Battle of Ringgold General U.S. Grant established his headquarters here....
Created December 5, 1853, the county has an Indian name. Ringgold bears the name of Major Samuel Ringgold, who died of wounds received at the Mexican War battle of Palo Alto in 1846....
Around 11:00 a.m. on December 5, 1957, a natural gas leak under Berry´s Pharmacy caused an explosion that destroyed four buildings and damaged several others in Villa Rica´s downtown. The...
Villa Rica’s Textile Industry In the early 1900s several textile mills and warehouses lined Villa Rica’s Main Street. The mills provided an economic stimulus for decades as the transition was...
Thomas Andrew Dorsey Thomas Andrew Dorsey was born July 1, 1899, in Villa Rica. He learned to play the piano as a young man. His blues style combined with southern Christian praise songs earned...
The Mill This amphitheater is located on the site of what was once the heart of commerce in Villa Rica for more than 100 years. By 1900, the two block area to the east of here was developed by the...
Fullerville Jail The Fullerville Jail served the city of Fullervilll, Ga. from 1916 to 1956. According to Fullervillains, the city’s first jail was made of wood and burned to the ground. According...
Bank of Villa Rica Carroll County’s oldest financial institution May4, 1899 – June 24, 1996 The Bank of Villa Rica was Carroll County’s oldest financial institution, and one of the...
This park is the last piece of unused land of the original campus of Bowdon College (1856 – 1936). It was also the backyard of the McDaniel – Whatley home, the last remaining building of...
The Villa Rica bus station, formerly on this site, was on the route of the 1961 Freedom Ride that departed Washington, D. C. on May 4, 1961 with New Orleans, Louisiana, as its final...
Originally located at Lochchau Talafau, the Carroll County residence of Creek Indian Chief William McIntosh on the Chattahoochee River. This stone served as a horse mounting block for...