June 15, 1864 On June 15, 1864, General Sherman ordered an attack on a portion of the Confederate fortified line located between Gilgal Church and a hill one mile eastward known as "Pine Knob"....
WILLIAM A. FULLER 1836-1905 Captain Independent State Troops of Georgia, C. S. A. As conductor on the state owned Western & Atlantic R. R. He led the pursuing party that, after a 90 mile chase,...
This Tablet Marks the Spot At Which The Locomotive "General" Was Captured by Andrews Raiders Morning of April 12th, 1862. Capt. Jas. J. Andrews , with twenty volunteers from Sill´s Brigade,...
Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr. September 30, 1930 - August 10, 2003 Lawyer, Legislator, Mayor, Judge Robert Flournoy moved to Marietta from Atlanta in 1957 to practice law. He served in the...
This spring, called Equ´ Ganug´ Gv Am´ (Big Springs of Water), by the Cherokee Indians and being near the boundary of the Cherokee-Creek territories must have been a meeting place for both tribes....
Beloved merchant, druggist, and Episcopalian, he helped found St. James in 1842; in 1844 he built his home across from the church. His 1845 drug store on the square was a town social center....
This is the original locomotive made famous by its participation in the Andrews Raid of April 12, 1862. It was stolen by the Northern raiders who tried unsuccessfully to wreck the...
City of Marietta This park is dedicated to thousands of men and women who built 665 B-29 bombers that played a major role in bringing the U.S. victory during World War II. The steps remain as a...
The only slave burial ground in any major white Georgia cemetery. Here 19 Christian slaves and freed persons of Marietta Christians were buried in unmarked graves ca. 1848-1866. Only four...
The greatest friend Univ. of Ga. ever had" began his academic career in Marietta: principal, Supt. City Schools 1892-1903. At Georgia (1903-1945) promoted academics and sports; Faculty...
Built by Glover Machine Works of Marietta, this 1916 locomotive was sold to a company in Va. for hauling lumber. In 1921 GMW reassumed possession. It was restored in 1992. Today GMW is in its...
The Indians knew this trail as the route from the heart of the Cherokee Nation to Standing Peachtree, Creek village that grew into a trading post and fort just south of the Chattahoochee. Pioneers...
Here, in the spring of 1865, Gen. Henry M. Judah had his headquarters and saw evidence which helped him make a decision of much importance to local people. Since no crops had been grown here on...
The Kennesaw Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy was organized July 29, 1898, in the parlors of the Kennesaw House on the second floor corner nearest the railroad station. Mrs. R....
In ante-bellum days, this hotel was a summer resort for planters attracted by the gay social activities of the town. In 1862, J. J. Andrews and his Federal raiders met here to begin the...
3,000 Confederate dead from every southern state are buried in this cemetery. First established for [CS] soldiers killed in a railroad collision in 1863, it became the resting place for dead...
Burial of Confederates killed in a railroad collision, September, 1863, on land given by Mrs. Jane Glover, established this cemetery. Later more land was given by Ann Moyer and others, and...
July 3, 16, 1864. McPherson´s Army of the Tenn. formed the right of the Federal forces operating south of Kennesaw Mountain. After Johnston´s forces [CS] withdrew S. of the Chattahoochee, July 9,...
300 ft. W. stood the res. of Wm. Johnston who operated the ferry in the 1850´s, where Johnston´s Fy. Rd. crosses the Chattahoochee River. July 5, 1864. Gen. Kenner Garrard´s cav. div. [US]...
July 8, 1864. The first passage of the Chattahoochee River by Federal forces was made at mouth of Soap Creek by Cox´s division, 23d A.C. [US]. Cameron´s brigade crossed creek at the dam and...