Born in York Township, Billy McKay, a local farmer of Irish descent, donated 4.7 ha of land in the vicinity of Coxwell Avenue and Mortimer Avenue, towards three significant East York organizations.
In 1921, Billy sold two parcels of his land for one dollar each, one to York Township for the original East York Municipal Building as well as Memorial Park, and a second to the local school board for the original R.H. McGregor School. In 1924, Billy sold 2 ha of land and kindly donated .6 ha to support the building of Toronto East General Hospital.
In the late 1930s, 11.7 ha of McKay land in this area was developed for a subdivision of 240 homes. McKayfield Road is named in his honour. Billy's contributions continue to serve as an inspiration to the community. He is buried at St. John's Norway Cemetery.