A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

The Sabine Index

The Sabine Index is the oldest continually operated business in Sabine Parish and one of the oldest newspapers in Louisiana. The first issue rolled off the press Sept. 6, 1879. Through the years, the Index has had several competitors including The Sabine Banner, which it purchased in 1921, absorbed and then revived Dec. 15, 1993. This building, constructed by W. A. Williams in 1954, has been home to the INDEX since 1978, when its location across the street was destroyed by fire. ROBERT GENTRY - Publisher - Marker Erected 1994 The marker above was removed from the INDEX office at 850 San Antonio Ave. (slightly southwest and across the street from this location) and was placed at this site in Oct. 2008. The INDEX office, destroyed by fire, was located adjacent to this building on the west side. -Marker Erected Oct. 2008

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps