A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

The Naval Station

Although this land was purchased by the U.S. Government from Jean P. Dupiere in 1849 as a proposed Navy Yard, a U.S. Naval Station was not formally established here until 1901 when a dry dock arrived. More land was purchased from the Olivier, Trepagnier, Harper, Wittmore, Kuhn, Backer, Willet, Papovich and Sturm families. New buildings and improvements were begun in 1902. It is now site of the Federal City.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps