A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

The Coventry Theatre

 

The Coventry Theatre

The New Hippodrome, as it was originally named, was
opened on 1 November 1937. It was the third Hippodrome
on this site, the first situated in Pool Meadow (1903) and the
second (1907) built in what is now the lower part of Lady Herbert's
Garden. The New Hippodrome, re-named the Coventry Theatre in
1955, provided the venue for some of the world's greatest artistes
and productions. The auditorium was comfortable and impressive
in size, seating 2136. The arrival of television in the 1950s and
'60s caused a drastic decline in the popularity of variety theatre.
In 1985 the theatre became a bingo hall and operated as
such until it was demolished in 2002 to make way for
Millennium Place, the Whittle Arch and the new
frontage to Coventry Transport Museum.

 



Submitted by @JamesGeddes

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps