The Vincentian Fathers have administered this parish since its founding in 1849 by Fr. Angelo Gandolfo, C.M. Mass was celebrated in private homes of Faubourg Bouligny until a chapel was dedicated on January 1, 1850. The parish soon outgrew this chapel and a larger church was built on the present site in the following year. The present St. Stephen's, designed in Gothic Style, was begun in 1868, during reconstruction days. Civil unrest and economic crises combined to delay completion. The first mass was celebrated on St. Stephen's feast, Dec. 26, 1887. The church was dedicated on Jan. 1, 1888. The 200-poot steeple was added later and blessed on Dec. 31, 1906.