Laid out in 1835 on land grant from government of Mexico to Horatio M. Hanks. At least 160 blocks were planned. After the Texas Revolution, Banks' partner and agent Alamazon Huston sold first 15 lots on Nov. 27, 1837.
Deed records show town existed late as 1850. By 1880 the land was sold by state for its taxes.
Hurricanes, freezes and lack of medical services caused the area to be deserted by 1890.
Aurora bloomed and faded like the dawn, from which it took its name, leaving shoreline of Lake Sabine deserted until 1895, when Port Arthur was founded.