The congregants of New Bethel purchased the current acreage in 1869 and first worshipped in a bush arbor. They deeded a portion of their land to the Shelby County School System to build Nashoba School for black children. The Rev. Will Benton and the Lane family are pictured. Source: A Walking Tour of the Old Germantown District
Submitted from the Shelby County Register's Office.