A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Indian Mission, The

Here, on July 1, 1845, three Lutheran missionaries, Reverend Johann J. F. Auch, Reverend J. Simon Dumser, and Reverend George Sinke, arrived. The Lutheran leader, Reverend Friedrich Schmid, sent them from Ann Arbor to evangelize the Chippewa Indians. A log chapel was built here later that summer. In 1849 Reverend Mr. Auch ferried lumber from lower Saginaw to Shebahyonk on Wild Fowl Bay, seven miles north of Sebewaing. A mission house was built there and dedicated June 27, 1849. Reverend J. F. Maier had charge of the mission. By 1854 the Indians had left these parts. The mission house was sold. A century later, it was moved to this site and established as a museum. It is now maintained by the Michigan District of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.

Plaque via Michigan History Center

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps