A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Fire

FIREHOUSE MUSEUM  
OLD FIRE STATION NUMBER SIX FROM 1915 TO 1970, SAN DIEGO FIRE DEPARTMENT'S ORIGINAL FIRE STATION 6 PROUDLY SERVED THE COMMUNITY OF LITTLE ITALY. IN THE WORKSHOP ON THIS SITE SOME OF AMERICA'S MOST SIGNIFICANT FIRE SERVICE INNOVATIONS WERE CREATED BY THE SPECIALTY TRADE-SKILLED FIREFIGHTERS WHO WORKED HERE INCLUDING THE WORLD'S FIRST GAS ENGINE POWERED FIREBOAT, THE BILL KETTNER. IN 1963 THE NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION DECLARED THE NATIONAL STANDARD THREAD THE OFFICIAL FIRE HOSE THREAD OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. THE MACHINE WHICH ENABLED THIS FEDERAL LEGISLATION WAS INVENTED HERE SIX YEARS EARLIER BY INVENTOR/BATTALION CHIEF ROBERT ELY. THE COMMON THREAD ALLOWED THOUSANDS OF AMERICAN FIREFIGHTERS TO CONNECT THEIR FIRE HOSES TOGETHER, ALLOWING THEM TO WORK AS ONE. AS A RESULT, COUNTLESS LIVES AND PRICELESS AMOUNTS OF PROPERTY AND THE ENVIRONMENT HAVE BEEN SAVED.

PLAQUE PLACED IN COOPERATION WITH THE PIONEER HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY, TAFF LOCAL 145, SAN DIEGO FIREMAN'S RELIEF ASSOCIATION SAN DIEGO RETIRED FIRE AND POLICE ASSOCIATION

BY
THE ANCIENT AND HONORABLE ORDER OF E CLAMPUS VITUS JOHN P. SQUIBOB CHAPTER #1853 DEDICATED ON JULY 25, 2015

 

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps