The town of Columbia was located on the Mississippi River about two miles east of this point. In 1833 the Chicot County seat was moved to Columbia from Villemont due to river bank erosion. Columbia became a thriving port and the location of a branch of The Real Estate Bank of Arkansas. The town was the southern Terminus of the Military Road from Little Rock and The Little Rock, Pine Bluff and New Orleans Railroad, the first rail line in southeast Arkansas. In 1855 the county seat was moved to Masona and then to Lake Village in 1857. Columbia was eventually destroyed by the river.