A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

The Lapidos House

THE LAPIDOS HOUSE Circa 1888 Built by developer C. More Hare in 1888, this house was one of four constructed on McHutchison Creek, now Jersey Street. In 122 years it has had but eight owners The ...

THE LAPIDOS HOUSE Circa 1888 Built by developer C. More Hare in 1888, this house was one of four constructed on McHutchison Creek, now Jersey Street. In 122 years it has had but eight owners The ...

    The Snickersville Academy

    THE SNICKERSVILLE ACADEMY Across the road, the path leads to the Snickersville Academy, Bluemont's first school and church. In 1825 Amos and Elizabeth Clayton sold, for a

    THE SNICKERSVILLE ACADEMY Across the road, the path leads to the Snickersville Academy, Bluemont's first school and church. In 1825 Amos and Elizabeth Clayton sold, for a "consideration" of $1, ...

    • three dollars p...

    Bacon Fort

    BACON FORT In April 1756, amidst the perilous French and Indian War, Col. George Washington wrote Virginia Gov. Dinwiddie:

    BACON FORT In April 1756, amidst the perilous French and Indian War, Col. George Washington wrote Virginia Gov. Dinwiddie: "Desolation and murder still increase. The Blue Ridge is now our frontier." ...

    • nothing remains...
    • bacon
    • dinwiddie
    • desolation and ...
    • desolation and ...

    Gambusia Affinis

    A monument erected in Sochi dedicated to Gambusia affinis, a fish that eats malaria mosquito larvae. The city used to be a malaria hotspot, but 30 years after the fish’s introduction there were no ...

    A monument erected in Sochi dedicated to Gambusia affinis, a fish that eats malaria mosquito larvae. The city used to be a malaria hotspot, but 30 years after the fish’s introduction there were ...

      The First Conference of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul in the United States

        Chicago Newspaper Monument

        TweetSubmitted by @Susannist

        TweetSubmitted by @Susannist

          Livermore and Pleasanton Fire Bells

          Submitted by @jqmcd

          Submitted by @jqmcd

            Lagunitas Road Bridge

            HISTORIC DEDICATION OF THE LAGUNITAS ROAD BRIDGE CORTE MADERA CREEK ROSS, CALIFORNIA MARCH 20, 2011 This structure replaces Bridge No. 27C0071, a contributing element to the Ross Historic Bridges ...

            HISTORIC DEDICATION OF THE LAGUNITAS ROAD BRIDGE CORTE MADERA CREEK ROSS, CALIFORNIA MARCH 20, 2011 This structure replaces Bridge No. 27C0071, a contributing element to the Ross Historic ...

              Ross Post Office Restoration Contributions

                FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF SAN ANSELMO

                FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF SAN ANSELMO ORGANIZED NOVEMBER 1897 DEDICATED NAY 1958 ROBERT C. CLAPBAM, PASTOR FRANCIS ARND CONSTA BLE ARCHIY C WN. HORSTHEYER CO Major Renovation Dedicated April 13, ...

                FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF SAN ANSELMO ORGANIZED NOVEMBER 1897 DEDICATED NAY 1958 ROBERT C. CLAPBAM, PASTOR FRANCIS ARND CONSTA BLE ARCHIY C WN. HORSTHEYER CO Major Renovation Dedicated April 13, ...

                  ROSS SCHOOL 2010

                    Alexander Montgomery

                    THIS GARDEN AND THESE GROUNDS HAVE BEEN RESTORED IN HONOR OF ALEXANDER MONTGOMERY BY HIS GRANDDAUGHTER ELSIE FAXON BIXLER

                    THIS GARDEN AND THESE GROUNDS HAVE BEEN RESTORED IN HONOR OF ALEXANDER MONTGOMERY BY HIS GRANDDAUGHTER ELSIE FAXON BIXLER

                      Temple Hall United Methodist Church

                      Organized in 1854, Temple Hall United Methodist Church is one of the earliest institutions in Hood County. During the mid-1800s, residents formed the community of Center Mill. Needing a place of ...

                      Organized in 1854, Temple Hall United Methodist Church is one of the earliest institutions in Hood County. During the mid-1800s, residents formed the community of Center Mill. Needing a place ...

                      • texas historica...

                      United Methodist Historic Site 442 - Temple United Methodist Church

                      An Historic Site is a location or structure associated with an event, development, or personality deemed of strong historic significance in the history of an Annual, Central, or Jurisdictional ...

                      An Historic Site is a location or structure associated with an event, development, or personality deemed of strong historic significance in the history of an Annual, Central, or Jurisdictional ...

                      • united methodis...

                      Henrietta Lacks

                      Submitted by @MoorInformation

                      Submitted by @MoorInformation

                        Byrd Residence

                        Henry Roeland Byrd

                        Henry Roeland Byrd "Professor Longhair" (1918-1980), pianist, composer, and singer, lived here at 1738-40 Terpsichore from 1979 until his death. In the 1950’s he recorded several singles including ...

                        • louisiana
                        • jazz
                        • professor longh...

                        Oliver Residence

                        Joseph “King” Oliver (1885-1938), Cornetist, bandleader, and composer, lived here at 2712 Dryades St. in 1916. Born in Abend, LA, he started playing c. 1904 with the Onward Brass Band , then the ...

                        Joseph “King” Oliver (1885-1938), Cornetist, bandleader, and composer, lived here at 2712 Dryades St. in 1916. Born in Abend, LA, he started playing c. 1904 with the Onward Brass Band , then the ...

                        • louisiana
                        • jazz
                        • king oliver

                        Lafayette No. 2

                        It is believed that this site started informally as a burial ground in 1850. In 1858, the City of Lafayette, before being annexed by New Orleans, constructed 120 tombs within. In 1865 a survey and ...

                        It is believed that this site started informally as a burial ground in 1850. In 1858, the City of Lafayette, before being annexed by New Orleans, constructed 120 tombs within. In 1865 a survey ...

                        • louisiana
                        • cemetery
                        • new orleans

                        Holt Cemetery

                        Originally a cemetery for the city's indigent population, Holt Cemetery was first mentioned in city records in 1879, most likely named for Joseph Holt, a physician from Charity Hospital. The original ...

                        Originally a cemetery for the city's indigent population, Holt Cemetery was first mentioned in city records in 1879, most likely named for Joseph Holt, a physician from Charity Hospital. The original ...

                        • louisiana
                        • new orleans
                        • cemetery

                        Zimmermann Residence

                        Thomas C. “Tom” Zimmermann (1888-1923), pianist & composer, lived here at 4607 Freret Street from 1913 until 1915. He played piano in Jack Laine’s band, Jonny Dedroit’s band, at the Tudor Theater, & ...

                        Thomas C. “Tom” Zimmermann (1888-1923), pianist & composer, lived here at 4607 Freret Street from 1913 until 1915. He played piano in Jack Laine’s band, Jonny Dedroit’s band, at the Tudor Theater, & ...

                        • louisiana
                        • jazz
                        • new orleans

                        Valence

                        The Jefferson City Cemetery, later called Valence St. Cemetery, became a city cemetery in 1870 when Jefferson City was annexed by the City of New Orleans. The cemetery has a number of old society ...

                        The Jefferson City Cemetery, later called Valence St. Cemetery, became a city cemetery in 1870 when Jefferson City was annexed by the City of New Orleans. The cemetery has a number of old ...

                        • louisiana
                        • cemetery
                        • new orleans

                        Carrollton No. 1

                        Established in 1849 Carrollton Cemetery was part of the growing suburb of Carrollton, incorporated in 1845. The suburb of Carrollton was annexed to the city in 1874 and the management of the cemetery ...

                        Established in 1849 Carrollton Cemetery was part of the growing suburb of Carrollton, incorporated in 1845. The suburb of Carrollton was annexed to the city in 1874 and the management of the cemetery ...

                        • louisiana
                        • cemetery
                        • new orleans

                        Carrollton No. 2

                        Also known as St. Mary's, Carrollton No. 2 was established about 1893. It once belonged to the Archdiocese of New Orleans, but was acquired by the City of New Orleans in 1921. The modest tombs and ...

                        Also known as St. Mary's, Carrollton No. 2 was established about 1893. It once belonged to the Archdiocese of New Orleans, but was acquired by the City of New Orleans in 1921. The modest tombs and ...

                        • louisiana
                        • cemetery
                        • new orleans

                        Allen Residence

                        Henry Allen (1871-1952), trumpet player  trombonist Jack Carey was a regular member. Henry “Red” Allen, Jr. left New Orleans to play on the Streckfus Line riverboats & later went to New York where he ...

                        Henry Allen (1871-1952), trumpet player trombonist Jack Carey was a regular member. Henry “Red” Allen, Jr. left New Orleans to play on the Streckfus Line riverboats & later went to New York where he ...

                        • louisiana
                        • new orleans
                        • jazz

                        Brownlee Residence

                        Norman Brownlee (1896-1967), pianist, bandleader, instrument salesman, & Musicians’ Union official, lived here at 407 Delaronde Street from 1912 until 1922. He led his own Brownlee’s Orchestra from ...

                        Norman Brownlee (1896-1967), pianist, bandleader, instrument salesman, & Musicians’ Union official, lived here at 407 Delaronde Street from 1912 until 1922. He led his own Brownlee’s Orchestra ...

                        • louisiana
                        • jazz
                        • new orleans