Barrow County was created by Act of July 7, 1914 from Gwinnett, Jackson and Walton Counties. It was named for David Crenshaw Barrow, Chancellor of the University of Georgia for many years. Born...
This remarkably preserved log blockhouse was built in 1793, according to historians. There are several references to Fort Yargo as existing prior to 1800. Its location is given as three...
Banks County was created by Act of Dec. 11, 1858 from Franklin and Habersham Counties. It was named for Dr. Richard Banks (1784-1850), whose reputation as physician and surgeon extended over north...
In 1780 a group of people, Garrisons and Wilmonts, met on the top of the hill behind the church, built a platform between two trees, and held a religious meeting. This small gathering, and...
Leatherwood Baptist Church was established in 1801 at Eastanollee in Franklin County. Any members moved near here, organized this church and named at Leatherwood. Members remaining in...
Nails Creek Baptist Church, the first Baptist Church in Banks County, was established February 11, 1787. It was the Mother Church of Middle River, Grove Level and Indian Creek. Many descendants of...
This battle was fought Oct. 12, 1864 between Confederate troops and Union cavalry in the nearby mountain pass. A Confederate victory saved Habersham county from pilaging by Union troops and camp...
The Line Baptist Church was constituted Sept. 13, 1802. by Rev. Moses Sanders, Thomas MAxwell and Daniel White. This church was just over the line between Georgia and Cherokee lands....
This line, sometimes called "The Four Mile Purchase Line," was the boundary between Georgia and the Cherokee Nation from 1804 to 1818. It was established when Georgia bought a four mile strip from...
The boundary between the State of Georgia and the Chereokee Nation established by the Treaty of Augusta, May 31, 1783, ran along here. The line ran "from the top of Curahee mountain to the...
On January 16, 1861, the Georgia Secession Convention met here to consider seceding from the United States. Secession began in response to Abraham Lincoln's election as president the previous...
Andalusia was the home of writer Flannery O´Connor from 1951 until her death in 1964. Born in Savannah in 1925, O´Connor and her family moved to Milledgeville in 1940. O´Connor left Georgia for...
On this corner stood the Milledgeville Hotel built in 1858 while Milledgeville served as Georgia´s capital. In 1903 Emily Norvell Hardy took over management of the hotel. She moved into the...
This Milledgeville Federal-style house was built c. 1825 on North Wilkinson Street for George T. Brown by English-born builder-architect John Marlor. It was operated as the U.S. Hotel and then the...
A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America Sponsored by The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. In cooperation with Georgia Department of Transportation...
In commemoration of the planning and laying out of Milledgeville Under a commission appointed by joint action of the General Assembly at Louisville May 11, 1803, site selected June 11, 1804...
Site of Fort Defiance 1794 Rendezvous of followers of General Elijah Clarke in the Trans- Oconee Country. WPA 1936 D.A.R. Plaque courtesy Lat34North.com. Original page, with additional info,...
In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette and his visit to Georgia´s State Capital March 27-29, 1825. Monday March 28 a ball and supper were given in his honor in the State House and a barbecue...
In Commemoration of the safeguarding of the Great Seal of Georgia and the unfinished acts of the legislature 1864. Within five hundred feet east of here lived Georgia´s wartime secretary of...
In grateful commemoration of the contribution to agriculture by Drs. Henry Dawson and Edwin Whitaker, Allen, Brothers, of Baldwin County, Georgia, in the discovery, improvement...