Racepond was named for ´Race Pond´, a round cypress pond near here, where, about 1836, United States soldiers ran their horses for sport. The troops were stationed at the pond to watch for...
This mill pond marks the site of Major Archibald Clark´s sawmill, the oldest industry in what is now Charlton County. Built about 1802, this mill with upright saws was operated by water power,...
SARDIS CHURCH Sardis Church, about 2 miles West on this Road, is the oldest church in Charlton County. Constituted some time before 1821, the first edifice was built in this area. the church was...
Trader´s Hill Masonic Lodge was established by dispensation March 1, 1854, one month after Charlton County was created. The first return to the Grand Lodge was made in 1855, and showed: the Rev....
Okefenokee, "Land of the Trembling Earth", was a favorite hunting and fishing ground for many tribes of Indians. General Charles Floyd with 250 dragoons drove out the last of these, the Seminoles,...
Created by an Act of February 18, 1854 out of Camden County, Charlton County was named for Judge Robert M. Charlton of Savannah. Trader´s Hill (Fort Alert), an important shipping point and head of...
During the Battle of Chickamauga the cavalry forces under the command of General Nathan Bedford Forrest held the position on the extreme right of the Confederate Army. On the first day of...
When it became obvious that the Federal Army of the Cumberland was about to cut the supply lines from Atlanta, the Confederate Army was forced to withdraw from Chattanooga without a fight....
On September 18, 1863, Brigadier General Bushrod R. Johnson's division had arrived in Ringgold from Mississippi and Lt. Gen Longstreet's men were beginning to arrive from VIrginia. At 5 A.M....
The Evans house was a double-pen log structure located on the corner of Guyler and Nashville Streets in Ringgold. Before the war the widow Evans took in boarders at the house to provide an income...
On September 11, 1863 Federal forces from Van Cleve´s Division of the 21st Army Corps of the Army of the Cumberland invaded Ringgold from the west. At the same time, Colonel John T....
Organized in 1837, the Chickamauga Presbyterian Church, commonly call "The Old Stone Church," was a landmark in the Ringgold area at the time of the war. The coming of the Western and...
"On the east side of the West Chickamauga Creek, a short distance from Lee and Gordon's Mills, on the Lafayette Road, was the imposing "Snow Hill" plantation that had been established by James...
John S. Henderson, the son of a Scottish immigrant, came to the local area from Tennessee with his brother William and an African slave woman named Millie. He bought land that included the old...
Glass's Mill was a multi-story frame structure that stood on the southeastern bank of West Chickamauga Creek about two miles from Crawfish Spring, providing the grain grinding needs for a number...
Arthur I. Leet was a Methodist clergyman who also had widespread commercial interests. He established a mill and large tanyard near the spring before the war. These facilities were widely used by...
The majority of the people who came into the area to establish Walker County were deeply religious. Soon after establishing their farms, the residents of most areas usually built a church that...
The Bloody First Day Fighting in the Chickamauga Woods continued into the night Throughout the day on September 19, 1863, men were thrown into the fighting as soon as they arrived on the...
Mix up in the Union Command An unwise order created a perilous gap in the Union line Shortly before 11 AM on September 20, Maj. Gen. William S. Rosecrans, the Union commander, received...
Defense of Snodgrass Hill Thomas stand here saved the Union Army from destruction After the Union right collapsed on the afternoon of September 20, Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas rallied all...