Surrounded on all sides by the moat, the demilune (literally “half-moon”) protected the vulnerable fort entrance. This triangular area was modified in 1872 by the addition of earthen mounds...
The southeast angle of Fort Pulaski was breached by early afternoon on April 11, 1862. With devastating accuracy, Union rifled artillery accomplished this task in only 30 hours. It would take over...
"The result of this bombardment must cause, I am convinced, a change in the construction of fortification as radical as that foreshadowed in naval architecture by the conflict between the Monitor...
Colonel Edward L. Molineaux, 157th N. Y. Volunteers, left a diary describing these casemates. From here, the Quartermaster Department issued bulk supplies to the garrison. During the night of...
Used as a shell magazine during the Confederate occupation, the Federals saw fit to use it as “dark confinement” for Confederate Officers held prisoner during the Winter, 1864-65. Plaque courtesy...
The Southwest Bastion held a special type of cannon to protect the fort’s entrance. These cannon, known as 24-pounder flank defense howitzers, were aimed at the drawbridge. Today, this area...
By noon, April 11, 1862, shells breached the opposite side of the fort and struck this wall. Inside sat great stores of gunpowder. The fort surrendered two hours later. Plaque...
The Phoenix Iron Works of Philadelphia made this carriage for a Parrott rifle (cannon). The weapon fired a 100 pound projectile 8500 yards. Carriage and gun weighed almost 13,000 pounds. In 1978...
Conrad Aiken, Poet and Man of Letters, was born in Savannah on August 5, 1889, and lived at No. 228 (opposite) until 1901. After the tragic deaths of his parents, he was moved to New England. Most...
Only the foundation remains of one of the fort’s furnaces which heated cannon balls. Used against wooden ships, the red-hot projectiles could start a disastrous fire – even after skipping on...
Thirty-six big guns on Tybee Island, 1 to 1½ miles away, converged their fire on the fort. The bombardment proved that rifled cannon could destroy masonry forts. Plaque courtesy Lat34North.com....
Cast at the Tredegar Foundary in Richmond, Virginia, this rifled cannon had an effective range of 5 miles and fired a projectile weighing 64 pounds. Designed by a Confederate Naval Officer, it was...
Made by Fawcett, Preston and Company (Liverpool, England), this rifle and the others like it came through the blockade on the British steamship Fingall, November 12, 1861. It fired a...
The 1779 Battle of Savannah was one of the deadliest of the entire American Revolution. The overwhelming defeat of French and American forces resulted in an allied withdrawal and in approximately...
For most of the Revolutionary War, Savannah was an armed camp. With the approach of an allied French and American army in the fall of 1779, the British defenders of Savannah began improving...
The foreman gave assignments to the engineers, mechanics, and shop crews from his office. This office was built in 1926-1927 when the southern half of the Roundhouse was rebuilt to a larger size....
In honor and memory of those airmen who flew, and the ground crews who maintained the Martin B-26 Marauder against the German Reicht, 1942-1945 "Nye's Annihilators" 322nd Bomb Group 450th...
In a modest garage apartment building at the corner of Jefferson and 35th Street, the Jefferson Athletic Club for Boys was founded in 1933. The nation was in the throes of a great...
This brick pillar represents the remnants of the former Bethesda Arch that was erected in 1940 as part of Bethesda’s 200th anniversary celebration. The original arch, designed by Hugh Tallant...
Savannah Methodism´s first church building was erected on this corner of Lincoln and South Broad (now Oglethorpe) streets in 1812 by its first pastor, Rev. James Russell. Bishop Francis...