Creator of the Uncle Remus stories and exponent of the New South, Joel Chandler Harris was born December 9, 1848 in Eatonton. After serving an apprenticeship on the plantation newspaper...
July 18, 1864. Left Wing. Army of the Cumberland, having moved from Power´s Fy., cast up a line of intrenchments covering roads leading E., S., & W. Contact was made with the 20th A. C. to the...
Owl Rock Church was founded in 1828 by Richmond Barge and other members of the Mutual Rights faction that withdrew from the Mount Gilead Methodist Church. The church is named for am eight foot...
A concerted, but scattered endeavor was made by Wheeler´s cavalry [CSA] to oppose the advance of Federal forces from Chattahoochee River crossings toward Atlanta, July 1864. July 18, Brig....
Cotton States International Exposition of 1895 Was held for 100 days from Sept. 18 to Dec 31 1895 in Piedmont Park. This event was held at a time when the regions population was only 75.000...
Former slave, Principle of Tuskegee Institute and author of Up From Slavery, Washington delivered the Atlanta Exposition Address on September 18, 1895 at this site, the former auditorium of...
This is the site of the worst hotel fire in U. S. history. In the predawn hours of December 7, 1946 the Winecoff Hotel fire killed 119 people. The 15 - story building still stands adjacent to...
Spelman College was founded in 1881: The National Alumnae Association of Spelman College (NAASC) was Organizes by Clara Howard in May 1892. Miss Howard, a member of the first graduating...
In 1839 "Cousin John" Thrasher built a settlement called Thrasherville at this then forested site near the peg marking the planned terminus of the Western & Atlantic RR. This railroad was...
Named for Maj. Gen. James Birdseye McPherson, U. S. Vol. the Union Commander of the Army of Tennessee, during the Battle of Atlanta, this area was used as a state militia drill ground as early as...
This is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Atlanta. It was completed on April 22, 1869, and served as the main freight depot for the Georgia Railroad. Corput and Bass, architects,...
Aug. 1864. Howard´s Army of the Tenn. [US] having abandoned siege operations on the W. side of Atlanta, moved S. in a flanking march to cut the West Point R.R. at & below Shadnor Ch. On the 30th,...
July 18, 1864. The 4th A.C. marching from Crossroads Church to Buckhead, encountered a spirited opposition by Confederate cavalry & artillery S. of Mt. Paren Rd. On reaching the creek Newton´s...
Organized in 1840 as the New Hope Baptist Church; named changed to Shadnor, 1853. The original log structure that stood a short distance north of present one, was a prominent landmark during...
1864 - Siege operations on the Atlanta front having failed, the Federal Army moved against the 2 R. R. South of it. Howard´s Army of the Tennessee, Thomas´ Army of the Cumberland and Schofield´s...
In 1864, the building at this location was a prominent landmark in the final phases of Federal military operations against Atlanta. Three Federal army corps marched this way enroute to Red Oak...
An old Campbell County crossroad cited in James P. Snell´s Diary as "a one-horse settlement with no pond, but two or three houses and blacksmith shop´‘~~ a landmark in movement of Howard´s Army of...
Est. March l836; discontinued July 7, 1866; a stop on the Decatur, Marthasville (Atlanta) White Hall & Sandtown stagecoach route in intervening years; also a landmark in the movement of Federal...
Aug 26, 1864. The Federal Army of the Tenn., (15th, 16th and 17th corps) enroute to Fairburn and Jonesboro, camped on and near, the Wilson plantation. Gen. John A. Logan (15th A.C.)...
On Aug. 26th, 1864, after 35 days of futile siege operations, the Federals withdrew from their lines North and West of Atlanta, and a wide flanking march, moved against the two railroads...