May Erwin Talmadge was the eighteenth President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, 1944-1947. Mrs. Talmadge and her husband, Julius Young Talmadge (1880-1940),...
Oconee Hill Cemetery was purchased in 1855 by the City of Athens when further burials were prohibited in the old town cemetery on land owned by The University of Georgia. In 1856, the City formed...
On Jan. 6, 1961, Hamilton Holmes and Charlayne Hunter became the first two African American students to enroll at the University of Georgia when they walked past the historic Arch and into this...
In their Springdale houses they shared the joys of music and the visual arts with friends, family, students and faculty. HUGH HODGSON 1893 - 1969 590 SPRINGDALE was architect Ed Wade and built in...
In their Springdale houses they shared the joys of music and the visual arts with friends, family, students and faculty. LAMAR DODD 1909-1996 590 SPRINGDALE was built in 1941 by...
This valley formed by Tanyard Creek is site of many great moments in University of Georgia athletic history. In 1911, a football/baseball facility with wooden grandstands, Sanford Field, was built...
In February 1860 the University of Georgia purchased 93 acres surrounding this site and later sold all but 30 acres to finance the construction of Rock College, a preparatory school for...
Cook & Brother Armory Building Timeline and Company Name 1862Cook & Brother purchases property at the junction of Trail Creek and the North Oconee River, builds the Armory and...
“You triumphed over obstacles which would have overcome men less brave and determined” President McKinley Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 By Department of Georgia National Auxiliary...
Originally used to call students to classes, Chapel Services, and special events, the University of Georgia Chapel Bell was cast by George Holbrook of Medway, Massachusetts in 1835. The bell's...
The Pittards settled Winterville in 1796. Emily Ciole Harris, daughter of William Rutherford Coile and Laura Pittard Coile, concieved the idea for this park in 1949. Emily and her uncle, Grady...
Dedicated in October, 1971, in the term of Mayor Julius F. Bishop. This 32-acre recreation area alongside the Oconee River occupies the site of a dismantled hydroelectric generating station...
DEEP SOUTH REGION WILLIAM BARTRAM TRAIL TRACED 1773-1777 Eminent artist -- naturalist. Described numerous species of flora including Franklinia. Explored local area in 1773. ERECTED BY The...
Commissioned on this site 15 January 1954, the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School is the "Home" of the Navy Supply Corps. At this school newly commissioned Navy Supply Corps officers receive basic...
In summer 1996, Athens, Georgia, shone as the largest Olympic venue site outside Atlanta, as the state hosted the Centennial Olympic Games July 19 - August 4. Some 650,000 visitors bought...
Founders´ Memorial Garden which commemorates the founders of America´s first Garden Club. The Ladies Garden Club organized in 1891, Athens, Georgia. This garden was developed on university of...
I891 at this site, the Ladies Garden Club was founded by twelve Athens ladies in the home of Mrs. E.K. Lumpkin. Mrs. Lamar Cobb was the first president. Beginning as a small neighborhood group,...
nieces taught here: Miss Mildred Rutherford, Principal, Mrs. Mary Ann Lipscomb, Mrs. Bessie Rutherford Mell. Closed as a school for girls in 1931, it serves as a dormitory for girls attending the...
Closing in on Atlanta in July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman found it "too strong to assault and too extensive to invest". To force its evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman´s cavalry to...
This cannon, the only known one of its kind, was designed by Mr. John Gilleland, a private in the "Mitchell Thunderbolts," an elite "home guard" unit of business and professional men...