This school was founded in 1909 by C. S. Hodges and W. G. Powell, at the Village of Cyrene, to provide preparatory education for boys. Later that year the curricula was expanded to provide...
In 1891, A. Cohn & Company purchased 14,000 acres for tobacco cultivation and named it Amsterdam. At that time, the property was the largest tobacco plantation in the world, under one ownership....
In June 1816 Lt. Col. D. L. Clinch and a detachment of the 4th U.S. Infantry set up camp one mile west of here, calling it Camp Crawford. They began construction of a fort on the site in September...
Decatur County was created by Act of Dec. 8, 1823 from Early County. Sessions were cut off later to form part of Seminole and Grady Counties. It was named for Stephen Decatur (1779-1820),...
The Tonge Factory, owned by S. D. Tonge, stood on the South bank of the Flint river one-fourth mile West of here. The cloth produced by this plant was used by the women of Bainbridge to make...
In this vicinity was fought the Flint Battle of 1702 between the English under Capt. Antonio with Creek allies from Achito (near Columbus) and the Spaniards under Capt. Francisco Romo Uriza...
Georgians in the Union Army The First Georgia Volunteer Infantry Battalion (U.S.), also known as the First Georgia State Troops Volunteers (U.S.), was a United States Army unit raised in Dawson...
Here begins the approach trail to Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalcahian Trail, a continuous footpath extending more than 2,000 miles to Mt. Katahdin, Maine. The Appalachian...
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 3, 1857, is named for William C. Dawson who died in 1856, having served in Congress from Dec. 1836 to Nov. 1842, and in the U.S. Senate...
Just East of the railroad from here and 200 yards North of Wauhatchie Spring and Branch, stood the home of Wauhatchie, Chief of the Cherokees. In the War of 1812 he served in a company of...
Often called the ´State of Dade,´ because, as legend has it, the county seceded from the Union ahead of Georgia and only returned to the Union July 4, 1945. Created December 25, 1837, and...
A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America SPONSORED BY Camellia District of Garden Clubs IN COOPERATION WITH The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. AND The Department...
Blue Star Memorial A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America Sponsored by The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. In cooperation with Cordele Garden Club And...
Hernando de Soto and his army after crossing to the west side of Flint River near Bainbridge, recrossed it on March 31, 1540, between the mouths of Jones and Gum creeks, and stopped at the town of...
During the 1920s work began on an improved artillery gun, to have greater elevation and more power. After several setbacks a design eventually came together and was standardized in 1938 is the 155...
In 1952, the V.F.W. open Camp Safety Patrol. Here, with the Corporation of the Department of Public Safety, over 72,000 youths camped and learned school safety practices. The V.F.W....
With the Korean War focusing attention on the advancements made in Russian aircraft technology in the MiG 15, the Navy looked for a fast way to acquire a fighter with better performance. The best...
Because of the terrible attrition of early fighter jets and their pilots, the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation set out in 1948 to modify their F-80 Shooting Star into a jet trainer. Using their...
This camp, as proposed by Cpl. J.M. Moore, Georgia State Highway Patrol, and sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Emmett R. Culbreth and James H. Floyd, State Commanders; Department...
This 1000 acre tract, once the hunting and fishing grounds of Creek Indians, was purchased from Dr. Russell Thomas and John F. Thomas on December 4, 1946, by the Crisp County commissioners, Dr....